advertise your website Login Registration
Submission Guidelines Recent Approved Articles Featured Articles
Submit Free Article
Home About Us Advertising GuideLines Do's & Don't T & C FAQ Contact us
  Home Insurance Articles
HostJinni Promotions
Articles Category
Arts & Entertainment
Computers & Technology
Food & Drink
Health & Fitness
Home & Family
Home Based Business
Home Improvement
Just for Women
Kids & Teens
News & Society
Online Business
Online Tickets
Real Estate
Reference and Education
Self Improvement
Sports & Recreation
Travel & Tourism
  Member Area
Author Login
Free Registration
Authors From Country
  Helpful Topics
How to Write Articles
Free Early Approval Tips
Why Article Submission
  Best of Webzine
Leader Board
Most Viewed Articles
Top Rated Articles
  WebZine Status
Total Articles -22603
Registered Authors - 3968
Featured Articles - 340
Articles added this
month - 389

Home Insurance For Tenants


Your landlord will probably have buildings insurance to cover the actual building that you rent. You need to insure anything of yours that you keep in the property with a separate contents insurance policy.

The cheapest contents insurance policies will give you protection against financial losses if your things are damaged or destroyed by flood, fire or theft. A slightly higher premium will buy you cover for your belongings even if they are damaged or stolen when you are away from home. This cover can be especially handy for expensive items such as laptops, mobile phones or jewellery.

If you rent a fully furnished property, you probably gave your landlord a deposit. If you damage anything, the chances are the landlord will take the costs of repair from your deposit. There are special tenants contents insurance policies which will protect your deposit, and they are quite reasonably priced.

If you share your rented property with others, some insurers will allow you to take out a joint policy. This can work out cheaper than each of you buying separate contents insurance so it is worth shopping around. You will need to give an estimate of the total value of all the things you want to insure.

The higher the amount, the higher the premium, but dont say less than your things are worth or you will lose out if you need to claim. Unfortunately for some landlords the security of their tenants possessions may not be as high a priority as you would expect, so if you have any worries about the security of your rented property then be sure to discuss this with your landlord.

Rented properties can be popular with burglars who know that shared flats and houses are likely to have several laptops, mp3 players and other valuable items, and if you have Windows that do not have locks or no burglar alarm then you may find your house is an easy target for burglars.

Ask the landlord about changing the locks when you first move in to the rented property. If the locks have not been changed, previous occupants could still have copies of the keys to your home and could use them to break in and steal your things. Also ask your landlord about checks to gas appliances and make sure you mention any faulty or damaged electrical appliances.

Insist that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are fitted and test them regularly. Keep an inventory of all the things that you own that you wish to insure, with receipts if possible particularly for expensive items like computers, mp3 players and cameras.

This will help to get your claim processed quickly if you should be unlucky enough to have to make one.

Like this article..? Rate it here:  Votes | Average: 1 out of 5  Votes | Average: 2 out of 5  Votes | Average: 3 out of 5  Votes | Average: 4 out of 5  Votes | Average: 5 out of 5     2 votes, average: 2.5 out of 5    
About Author
Articles Stats
  Published Date - June 24 2009
  Total Views - 580
  Total Votes - 2
  Average Rating - 1
  Comments - 0
  Mr. Foster Carr
Visit Kwik Fit Insurance where you can call up competitive house insurance quotes in no time.
Particular Article
Author Article
  • Advice on Home Inspectors Insurance That Covers Errors and Omissions
  • [2010-11-08 ]
    Many states require Error & Omission Insurance before a home inspector can obtain their license allowing them to perform inspections in their state. Home inspectors may need two types of insurance; general or premises liability and errors and omissions insurance. They need protection from potential lawsuits. Errors & omission insurance designed specifically for home inspectors focuses on the particular areas where inspectors need insurance Read More...
  • Common Misconceptions about Health Insurance Georgia Policies
  • [2010-07-21 ]
    If you have a pre-existing medical condition, sometimes an insurance provider will insist on a waiting period until you can receive benefits for treatment of that condition, but you will still be able to get approval and receive benefits on other medical care. Read More...
  • Health Insurance Georgia - Helping Your Way Out!
  • [2010-05-18 ]
    The article talks about the Health Insurance Georgia programs and discusses the advantages over the other health insurance programs. Read More...
  • Aetna Health Insurance – One of the Best Names in the Field Of Insurance
  • [2010-05-10 ]
    The article talks about how efficient services Aetna health insurance providers are offering to the Americans. Read More...
  • Insurance Industry in India
  • [2009-07-10 ]
    Insurance industry in India started in 1818 when the first insurance company was formed. Insurance Industry is regulated by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA). Read More...
  • Ski insured
  • [2009-07-07 ]
    If you are thinking of heading off for an activity holiday on the slopes, thinking about insurance is a necessity. Read More...
  • Smooth sailing
  • [2009-07-02 ]
    Are you packed and ready to go? Do you have everything you’ll need to cover any event during the next few months backpacking around the world? Here are a few things you’d be foolish to forget. Read More...
  • Ski insurance policies
  • [2009-06-29 ]
    If you plan to take to the mountains for a skiing holiday soon, you’ll need an insurance policy which covers you sufficiently to give you piece of mind that you’ll be protected if anything goes wrong. Read More...
  • Storm and Flood Damage Your Home Insurance
  • [2009-06-24 ]
    Almost all home insurance policies provide cover against the costs of storm and flood damage. Read More...
  • Home Insurance for Tenants
  • [2009-06-24 ]
    Your landlord will probably have buildings insurance to cover the actual building that you rent. Read More...
  • Types of Home Insurance Cover to Consider
  • [2009-06-22 ]
    There are two main types of home insurance, buildings and contents insurance. Buildings insurance is for protection against financial losses if the actual structure or permanent fixtures Read More...
  • Home Insurance Tips
  • [2009-06-20 ]
    To get a mortgage you will normally at least need buildings insurance to protect you from financial losses if the house itself is destroyed or damaged, but you would need full home insurance including Read More...
  • How to get Cheaper Home Insurance
  • [2009-06-20 ]
    If you want to reduce the cost of your home insurance, you will as a minimum still need buildings insurance to cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home. Read More...
  • Student Housing Insurance
  • [2009-06-18 ]
    As spring turns into summer the time of year draws near when the next generation of university students starts considering where they’re going to spend (at least) the next three years. Read More...
  • Cheaper Housing Insurance
  • [2009-06-15 ]
    More often than not the most valuable item that people own (or part own) is their house. Read More...
      Submit Articles - Free Articles - Online Articles Submission  
      WebZine Articles ( is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. 2012